The Sloane Court Clinic
11 Sloane Court West
London SW3 4TD
+44 (0)20 7730 5945
+44 (0)20 7730 5945
+44 (0)20 7730 9871
Our opening times are:
- Mon–Thu: 9am to 7pm
- Friday: 9am to 6pm
- Saturdays: Morning only.
Dr Roger Howells
Dr Roger Howells is a consultant psychiatrist with 25 years of experience as a psychiatrist, 18 at consultant level.
Dr Howells was formerly a consultant psychiatrist at the Maudsley Hospital, where for twelve years he was engaged in the treatment of adult psychiatric patients both in an inpatient and community/outpatient setting. He is skilled in the management of both minor and severe mental illness. He is experienced in the management of alcohol dependence, and comorbid drug and alcohol problems generally.
He was a trainer of junior psychiatrists and an Honorary Senior Clinical Tutor at Kings College Hospital providing teaching to clinical medical students attached to the Maudsley Hospital. Prior to this he was a Lecturer and Research Fellow at the Institute of Psychiatry, having completed his clinical psychiatric training at the Maudsley Hospital.
Before entering psychiatry he trained as a junior doctor in medicine at the Hammersmith Hospital, Brompton Hospital, St George’s Hospital and National Hospital for Nervous Diseases.
He left the NHS in 2006 with great gratitude for the excellent opportunities and training it afforded him, with the aim of setting up a small but exemplary clinical service in central London embodying the principles of excellence instilled in him by his psychiatric mentors. He has done this with like-minded associates.
Qualifications and Positions:
Royal London Hospital Medical College, University of London
- Testimonial of Merit, Psychology, 1978
- Edith Forbes Memorial Scholarship, 1978
- BSc (Hons) First Class Honours, Psychology, 1978
St John’s College, and School of Clinical Medicine, University of Cambridge
- Eliot Slater Prize in Psychiatry, University of Cambridge, 1980
- MB BChir (Cambridge), 1981
Senior House Officer in Medicine Training
- Therapeutics and General Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, 1983
- Respiratory Medicine, Brompton Hospital, 1983
- Cardiology, St George’s Hospital, 1984
- Neurology, National Hospital for Nervous Diseases, 1985
Senior House Officer, Registrar & Senior Registrar Psychiatry Training
- Maudsley Hospital, South London & Maudsley NHS Trust, 1986-1991
- Research Assistant, Psychological Laboratory, Cambridge University, 1978-79
- Lecturer in Psychiatry, Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College London, 1991-94
- Research Fellow, Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College London, 1991-94
- Maudsley Hospital, South London and Maudsley NHS Trust, 1994-2006
- Honorary Senior Clinical Tutor, Kings College London, 2005-2006
- Consultant Psychiatrist & Clinical Director, The Sloane Court Clinic, 2006-